1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registered ChatMates enjoy more benefits. Get likes to your post to earn more trophy points, this gives you a higher credibility among other ChatMates. Register now and have more fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. As a guest, you cannot see the member list. Register now to have access to the full list of member profiles.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Your Fine Arts What You Think They Are?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Didi, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Didi

Didi Leading ChatmMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

A work of art is an artistic or aesthetic creation or item. It could be called an art piece or a piece of art. A work of art can be classified generally as any creative work under categories including literature, music, dance, architecture or fine arts. One of the most popular of these art forms is fine arts. This is because, many of these pieces of art are created to stimulate us through a visual experience. Additionally, they appeal to our vision.

Historically, learning discourses have taught us that works of art under fine arts are produced primarily for their aesthetic appeal and beauty as such we see them hanging on our walls, displayed in cases and shelves or placed at vantage points to make a place or room more appealing to guests. In modern times however, fine arts have gone on to include photography, printmaking, architecture, film and video making since these works are visually appealing too. This time around, fine arts are not only created for the purposes mentioned above, an intellectual purpose has emerged with it.

Due to their visual capabilities, fine art works are mostly judged based on their aesthetic appeal, beauty and meaningfulness. This is done solely on an individual’s taste, perception and intellectual ability. That being said, the inspiration behind which a sculpture or pot was designed is always different from what a buyer will think of the art piece. Furthermore, an art critic or student analyzing the work will come to totally different realization.

Within the world of fine arts, how do people distinguish between good art and bad art? Well, it all boils down to what views an individual has concerning a particular piece of art work. If 100 people were to criticize a particular piece of fine art, they will all give a 100 different views on that work.

It would really simplify issues if a certain criteria were to have been given to concretely identify what makes a fine art work good or bad. But hey, there so many rules in this world. This free mandate is utterly liberating, let’s accept it as it is.

2. Max Trevelyan

Max Trevelyan Leading ChatmMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

Appreciating art is something that almost all of us can do because art is expressive and visually stimulating. Determining whether an art is good or bad will depending on the perspective they use other than that it is practically impossible to judge art based on the views of another person. We all appreciate things differently

Adjei Journey likes this.
  3. Chimsa Baba

Chimsa Baba Contributing ChatMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

Most people engage in the production of fine arts so differentiating between good and bad art depends on the viewer and for what purpose the person is using it for. If for example its just a vase for your house i'm sure you'd probably go for the one with more visual appeal. But if its a sculpture for a museum, the curator will have to employ the services of art experts to check the aesthetic value and its worth as far as years are concerned.

Adjei Journey and Didi like this.
  4. Faustinus

Faustinus Addicted ChatMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

@Didi I have a different view and definition for art. If you care to know.

Didi likes this.
  5. Didi

Didi Leading ChatmMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

Hi Faustinus, do you mind sharing your view and definition for art? It may do us some good to listen to a different viewpoint on this matter.

6. Chimsa Baba

Chimsa Baba Contributing ChatMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

I just remembered a survey about art i watched online. It was a comparism between world famous artists and children. I actually some difficulty differentiating because to me they all looked like they were done by children. Anyway that goes to establish the fact that beauty and art is indeed in the eyes of the viewer.

7. Adjei Journey

Adjei Journey Leading ChatmMate Moderator Watchout - Actively Moderating Privileged

I never thought taught of it that way. Good art and bad art. I don't know the criteria they use to critic the art. But at the end of the day, its your art and you did it by inspiration. That should be good enough. But I believe the critics have a fair reason why they do that